Ukulele Manifesto

While most ukuleles look like mini guitars, other popular forms have emerged--the Bell, the Pineapple, the Fluke. The variety may be due to the uke's reputation as a whimsical, "fun" instrument, inspiring non-conformity in design; and the uke's small size makes design experiments cheaper and easier.

For someone like me who likes to design and make things of wood, and who also likes ukulele music, the uke's design possibilities have proven irresistible. I have not been immune to the whimsy factor either. The results, you see here on this blog.

I make ukuleles at 2nd Chance Wood Co. in Durand, MI (https://www.facebook.com/pg/2ndchancewood/posts/?ref=page_internal) . The ukes are made entirely of recycled wood from old Michigan barns and urban reclaimed wood. The instruments are for sale at the 2nd Chance store in Durand, MI. Individuals or dealers may also contact me at raberdavid@yahoo.com.

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Mighty Uke Day 2022, Lansing MI


Had a great time at the annual uke fest in Lansing, Mighty Uke Day, last held at a physical site in 2019.  That was my first M.U.D. as a vendor, and I've been waiting since then to get back.

They put the vendors indoors this year due to the heat.  I was there with presenters from Mainland Ukuleles and Mya-Moe Ukuleles.  Both companies make conventional ukuleles, but I won't hold that against them.  They both make fine products, and the fact that they are dedicated to building ukes in the first place means to me that they are "doing God's work." 

But there was quite a contrast between my display of ukes, every one of them an "alternative" uke (unconventional, unusual, abnormal, weird, a "novelty" uke--or whatever) and the ukuleles of the other two companies, every one of them a figure-eight instrument, whether relatively plain or very fancy, looking like a miniature guitar.

None of the vendors sold much that day.  I think the Mainland people sold a couple of accessories.  Fact is, most people (even enthusiastic festival goers) don't tend to make unplanned impulse buys of products ranging from about $250 on up.  But that's not the point of being a uke maker at a festival like M.U.D., or I don't see that as the point for me anyhow.  The point is to be out there among the ukulele people, talking ukuleles and uke music, and me publicizing the name of Dave's Extravagant Ukuleles a bit.

I'm already looking forward to next year--hope to see you there!







No comments:

Post a Comment